Meegland

Megan Kelleher - Actress, Nerd, etc.

Upcoming MeegShows!

Monday, January 12, 2004

I have a little time before I meet up with the peeps at 'THE FUN BAR' so I will tell you about transportation in Cuernavaca. You have already heard more than you want to about Taxis. The other option are the busses. Routa 14 runs past my suburban neighborhood about every 10 minutes. It varies because the busses try to see how fast they can go before they have to stop for those pesky passengers. Bus stops are invisible... some are marked by metal benches, but usually a bus stop is where you make it. All you have to do is stand in the street with your arm out, and if the busdriver thinks he has enough room for passengers he will slow down long enough to put the bus in first gear. We gringos irritate them by travelling in groups and making them actually stop. My roommate, Barbara, has class earlier than I do so most days I take the bus to school by myself. I've gotten pretty good at jumping on the bus while it is still moving like the locals do. I've learned to pack light because the walk from Routa 14 to my school involves this one block that's a 45 degree hill that comes out to the equivalent of climbing 5 floors of stairs.

Barbara and I have NEVER gone directly home from school. There are about 22 different 'Routas' in Cuernavaca and only Routa 14 goes to our neighborhood. One time we caught Routa 14 near the Zocalo, but it was going the wrong way. We sat on the bus for 45 minutes before discovering from that NO the busses do not go in a loop no matter how similar the streets and tiendas seem to be. That was BAD. Today we walked almost all the way home before we finally found a Routa 14 in the correct direction. Every day is an adventure.

The internet cafe I'm in right now is about the size of my living room on campus. It has one door facing the very busy street and no open windows. Basically I fell like I've been sucking on an exhaust pipe for the past half hour. So I'm off to the FUN BAR to dance with Marco, and Paco, and Paco Francisco with the other gringas from GMU.

Hasta Luego!
Megan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home