Meegland

Megan Kelleher - Actress, Nerd, etc.

Upcoming MeegShows!

Thursday, January 08, 2004

I´m sitting in the internet cafe in Cuernavaca down the street from the Zocalo (town square). Outside the window there is a lot of traffic. I think it´s rush hour because there is a police man directing traffic with a whistle and it´s kind of annoying. Across the street is a zapateria (shoe store) it´s huge and I want to go buy shoes. This is nothing like the Domincan Republic.

Yesterday I went on a trip after school to a small city called Taxco. It´s very historic. It´s on the side of a hill and the streets are very narrow. The taxis and busses are all VWs. We saw the only cathedral in Mexico that was not destroyed or altered in any way during the civil wars. Everything is gold leaf and there are huge Boroque paintings everywhere. Taxco is known for it´s silver industry. I bought some jewelry. I wish we had more time there. The bus ride was 90 minutes each way and we were only there for about 2 hours. Need more girly shopping time!! I would go back but I´m so sick of busses. The pollution here is terrible.

Today my class went on a field trip to the mercado(market). This place is unbelievable. You can buy shoes and pirated DVDs right next to whole fish and cow heads. It´s bigger than costco. I almost bought a fake Gucci watch for $10US on the black market. I might just go back. We saw ladies shoes being built, and learned about the traditional mexican dresses. They have different colors for each state, kinda like the scottish have different color kilts. ...Maybe thats a stretch. I want to buy a sarape. One of the girls says she is going to come home in traditional dress to freak out her boyfriend when she gets off the plane... we are trying to find her a really huge sombrero like in the cartoons.

My midterm is tomorrow. Class is hard. My teacher is local and doesn´t speak any english. That´s really great for the total immersion thing, but it´s hard when she is trying to teach us grammar. I still don´t get the whole subjunctive thing. If anyone has any tips please email me. My professora tries really hard, but sometimes the four of us students just look at eachother like ´´what the heck is she trying to say?´´ We help eachother out and she is really patient. My spanish is improving so much that sometimes I forget how to say stuff in english. You might have noticed that my sentences are getting simpler. Or maybe that´s my imagination.

I went over my hour on the computer. So I pay another 8 pesos (80cents) who cares?

I´m having a great time but the fact that I can´t just pick up the phone and talk to people makes me a little homesick. I suppose it´s for the best. If I can´t use the phone I can´t procrastinate on my homework. My roomate is done with the computer and I don´t feel like taking the 20 minute taxi ride home alone. So until next time.

Hasta Luego
Megan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home