Meegland

Megan Kelleher - Actress, Nerd, etc.

Upcoming MeegShows!

Friday, November 18, 2005

Gorillaz n stuff

Today at lunch there was a gorilla in a t-shirt standing on the corner.
I thought about taking a picture, but in my experience gorillas never
seem to want to get their picture taken. I was worried that he might be
cold without pants, but there was nothing I could do about it. I didn't
worry about him being hungry, because I imagine Mr. Peanut is still
running around there somewhere.

Have I mentioned how Chicago feels like such a small town, sometimes?
Maybe not when I've been on a bus for an hour on my way to an open mic
in the north suburbs to do some improv. But when I've only been living
here 4 months and I start running into people I know like every day
either on the street or El train, it feels good. Maybe its not really
Chicago, but actually Improvtown that's small.

Being part of the Chicago improv world is kind of like being back in
college. I'm constantly seeing people I know on my way to somewhere
else, and we can geek out about our stuff in public without fear of
confused looks.

Yesterday I was bundled up on the train with only my glasses exposed to
the air when suddenly Jason C, my teacher friend (NOT my "feature trend"
- Jason doesn't drink. Besides that's a special title reserved for
Razowsky) sits on the seat facing me. Its a six car train that runs
every five minutes, what are the odds? Then the train got stuck a
couple times so we talked about class, summer intensive peeps, the role
of women and minorities in improv, and 80s music for almost an hour on
the way to our boring day jobs.

Then today on my way home on El Train I'm zoning out in my cocoon of
wool, down, and polartec, when I hear a guy standing next to me on his
cell phone leaving a message, "Hey, its Regan, call me back" and I look
and sure enough, its Regan from my Second City class. (Also the mythical
MEgan and REgan show) Regan can be seen beginning this weekend as
Michael Bolton in "Office Space The Musical" so I filled him in on the
open mic night he had missed and we plotted and planned for the future.
Second City people seem to be more focused on acting as a career than
I.O. peeps and I'm totally down with that vibe.

I love having people to talk to! About improv! I thought I had friends
at Curves... And I did/do, but they would do that thing where they'd
say, "be funny! Now!" and that was awkward. Now that I'm with My
People they challenge me to be funny and creative naturally. Yes. I
found my people. We are a nomadic race. Spread all over the world. We
have a rich history. We have suffered through great trials. I have
come here to the promised land to live on a comedy kibbutz for the next
2 years and cultivate funny.

Also while I'm writing this novel of an entry, I should mention that Z
has been really great to me lately. I'm always so quick to tell stories
that comically make him out as the bad guy, so I should share the good
times too. Maybe I've lowered my expectations. Maybe its because I
have more friends so I'm not as needy. Or maybe its cause he's curbed
his substance abuse and is back in the acting game. Whatever the
reason, I've noticed an improvement and it feels really great to have my
Zach friend back.

On the down side of things, I've pretty much convinced myself that I
have a brain tumor because I get tingly and see stars sometimes. Now
that I have health insurance I should probably get that checked out. Or
maybe eat better... Spagetti O's and ramen don't exactly boast essential
vitamins and minerals.

maybe its fumes from the space heaters?
- Megan

1 Comments:

  • At November 19, 2005 8:31 PM, Blogger Keith said…

    Brain tumor, starvation, toxic fumes... great options.

    Give that new health insurance a whirl. The only stars you should be seeing right now are the kind that do live comedy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home